Why is Your Family Important?
Why is your family so important? Why do our families matter? Is it bigger than just having children, making a living and retirement? Yes, it is; much bigger. Encourage your children through an understanding that your family was created as a foundation to change others around you: in your neighborhood, school, and even the world. Your family matters. Here are 5 thought provoking ideas on why our families were created. Believe it and talk about these ideas with your children.
- Family was created to be a loving union of members where the giving of and receiving of unconditional love could thrive. It’s only in the family where you don’t decide on love naturally but you experience love supernaturally. In other words, you do not wait and see if that infant in the incubator next to you will develop into someone influential. You love him or her at the moment of birth, or even before. That tiny bundle of joy will turn into a stinky toddler, then a messy middle schooler, and may even go through the stage of difficult and disrespectful teenager. But, your love for them will remain strong.
- Family was created to bear children and to raise them up with this unconditional love, to teach values and common beliefs generationally. As your children mature, they have an innate desire to know who they are based on who your family is. They will wonder about grandparents, great grandparents, and even your childhood. Sharing stories about your family history can be a great way to instill values. Even if your family history lacks ancestors full of character and adventure, help your children understand that their generation can most definitely be different.
- Family was created to be a safe place to express thoughts, ideas, concerns and fears. Families living in unconditional love listen, support, and encourage each other to reach each other’s full purpose. As you encourage your children, listen for their fears and concerns. Share your own stories of overcoming some of your fears. Most of the time the fears that most affect us never come true. Your children need to know that they are not the only one with doubts and they need encouragement.
- Family was created to live differently in abundance because of a hope that their life and the lives of others matter. When your children feel significant as part of your family, they can overcome many of life’s obstacles. Sometimes that significance comes from them knowing that they matter to their family.
- Families were created to show others love, compassion, to feed the hungry, help the sick, and encourage one another to serve others. When a family serves together so many benefits are gained. You provide blessing that will make a lasting affect on your children when you bless others together. Let your children come up with some ideas then help them fulfill them.